Monday, October 12, 2009

I Like Kandi



At the start of the Real Housewives of Atlanta, I didn't really like Kandi. I don't know why. Was I a hater like the rest of the gals? Obviously, I wasn't a fan of the way Nene and Kandi don't get along, because Nene is the best. However, Nene took some annoying steps this season, like telling Kim she couldn't sell a record alone rather than saying "I want to be on your record and I'm hurt." Sometimes you need to just man up and tell the truth. Also, though I still love Nene, her desire for attention could make it difficult for us to be besties.

Anyway, this post is about Kandi, so Nene will have to take a seat and let me fall for someone new. The thing about Kandi is that she's actually pretty famous. Sure, I had never heard of her before, and Xscape sounds vaguely familiar, but other peopld know who she is! She hangs with T-Boz like it's no big deal. And, she writes pretty catchy songs. Look at what she did for "Tardy for the Party," I can't get that damn song out of my head. And if it wasn't Kim singing on the track I might even consider downloading the tune, but that doesn't mean Kandi made her sound crappy- quite the opposite. It's about the principal of course.

I have to say Kandi might be better as a writer than a singer, but it's cool she tries to do both. Also, the fact that her name is Kandi (and spelled like it is) made it a little difficult to hop on the train. However, the first moment I though maybe I could like Kandi was when she decided to do her Alter Ego photo shoot in honor of someone in a coma from a drunk driving accident. Then, she was able to build up a frightened Kim and convince her to sing in a recording booth. How does Kim repay Kandi? By not showing up to her first show.

Speaking of Kandi's first show, she did a great job! And now she is being signed to Capitol Records. In fact, Capitol Records was her first meeting and they're dying to have her. For some reason, I was really happy for her when I heard that. Don't get me wrong, if there were to be a need for a Team Kandi or Team Nene proclamation, I wouldn't be waving a Kandi flag. She still has really bad taste in men, which maybe I'm not allowed to speak of because he is no longer with us. And now I see the reunion is being postponed. It's sad, it certainly is, but let's forget that part of it and just note how AJ was not a good match for Kandi. What was it, five kids and four baby mommas? Come on, Kandi, daddy complex or what?

At first, I insulted Kandi a bit for caring what the blogs say, but now I'm here singing her praises. I can't say I'll buy her album, but I wish her the best of luck with everyone else making that purchase. And, though I enjoy seeing her on Real Housewives now, she's just not right for the next season. She's too real to fit in. Not enough drama makes her a tad more boring, but I hope she would see that as a compliment, just like Deshawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment