As I watched Real World Brooklyn, there were a ton of things that I could make fun of. Drunky JD outing Katelynn (even though everyone knew), and then insisting his tranny friend from American Idol was a better singer than Devyn. The tranny challenges Devyn who is pissed she didn't have time to prepare. Scott- what does he do all day to never be in any episodes- telling Devyn she should always be prepared which is 100 percent true. Devyn is too good for theatre because she is the only one in the world who was trained in college. Devyn is 30 minutes late to an audition with a casting director because she accidentally drove to New Jersey on her way to Manhattan. Why the hell are they driving anywhere when they live in Brooklyn? I'm hating Chet less and less as he is forming sort of a sweet relationship with a model (?). Then I am reminded that Chet is a virgin and so he can't really have fun with the aforementioned model. Not nearly enough of my beloved Ryan in the episode!
What really stood out in my mind was the Sarah story line with her father. The way the Real World unspooled this is that some random guy calls for Sarah and won't say who he is. Finally, he gets Sarah on the line and he says "it's your dad." Sarah gets really upset, but rather than simply hanging up asks why he is calling and how did he get the number. And by the way how DID he get the number? It's not like you can just look it up online, I'm thinking it's privately listed. So either a friend of Sarah handed out, which seems unlikely; her mom gave it out, also unlikely; or the producers gave him the info, which is my guess. Sarah listens to her father who clearly doesn't understand what the problem is. Sarah listens for a while then cries.
This blog is not to judge Sarah in any way, because if you feel that you have been wronged unnecessarily than that is your business. However, when you choose to display your life to millions of viewers it is no longer just your business. At first I really felt bad for Sarah. If it were me I would've hung up the phone immediately, but that's me. Her dad calls AGAIN and then Sarah listens for a bit before after a few minutes hanging up. Sarah's father wants to reconnect and apparently this is something he tries every few months. I assumed that he had done something inexcusable, and so Sarah's anger is understandable. I have never been in such a position so I have no idea if I could forgive someone and what would have to be done to mend the bridge with my family member.
However, as the episode goes on, Sarah has a heart to heart with Devyn of all people. I don't think I've seen Devyn speak to anyone except Scott and JD, and she was yelling at JD for instigating a situation where she was brought on stage at a club to show her stuff. What a horrible thing to have an opportunity to sing in front of people that could potentially help you get somewhere in life. Anyway, Sarah is confiding in Devyn and says that when she was little she was sexually abused by a day care worker. That is terrible. My heart goes out to her, it's horrible. Then Sarah continues and explains that after her parents split up, her dad took her camping. Her dad only brought one sleeping bag. Sarah called her mom, and basically has not spoken to her dad since. Huh? Side note, Devyn was putting on make-up the entire time and did not react to one thing Sarah said. If she had been listening perhaps she could have asked Sarah to elaborate and I wouldn't be so confused.
Granted, The Real World does not hire the most talented editors. Perhaps there was more to the conversation, or even more reason why Sarah hates her dad, but bringing one sleeping bag on a camping trip is not enough. Sarah goes on to say that they tried to prosecute and arrest her dad, but no one would bring charges because he didn't actually do anything. My point exactly. Now, this is a sticky line because of course it would be much worse if she didn't write off her dad for good and something HAD happened, but my point is I'm not sure if anything was GOING to happen. Maybe he thought he brought two but accidentally brought one and planned on sleeping on the ground. Part of this story is missing. This is a huge deal and a sensitive issue so I will not judge, I will merely remained confused at what the big deal actually is for Sarah. Maybe more will come out later? During her conversations with her dad, we hear him say that this is silliness and she's just buying into the lies Sarah's mom has been spewing. Maybe this is true? When we see Sarah talk to her mom, they have this eerie self-help mantra where Sarah insists she will be strong and not a victim. Then Sarah goes off to find ways to help others in NY who were abused, which is really great she's helping- but.
I guess I hope that more of the story is revealed, because right now I'm not sure what exactly Sarah's dad did, if anything. And again this is a sensitive topic and if Sarah believes something happened than that is awful to carry around, but maybe some clarification would help everyone out?
That's all to report from last night's episode. I just want to say more Ryan next time please. And I'm slowly starting to hate Devyn.
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment